Thursday, August 05, 2004

"The Village"

I feel awfully sorry for Roger Ebert at the moment. I went to see "The Village" last night. "The Village" is M. Night Shyamalan's latest movie, and it's lovely. The cast is wonderful, the cinematography is wonderful, the sound and music are just right. Bryce Dallas Howard, as the blind daughter of the patriarch of the village, is a standout, especially for her movie debut.

So, I feel bad for Roger Ebert because he wasn't able to enjoy this fine movie. In a way, I understand his point; I can't reveal anything about the film other than that, as usual, M. Night Shyamalan has included a twist that might very well make you feel as Mr. Ebert does, but it just didn't bother me, and I hope no one that has enjoyed other pictures by this director will avoid it because of his review; believe me, you will enjoy it! It certainly borders on the unbelieveable, but then again, in a world where Michael Jackson can live on his Neverland Ranch, it's not that much of a stretch. I would have hated to miss such wonderful characters and pictures just because of it.

BTW, I saw the DLP (digital light projection) version and it was very good; the pixelation was minimal and the picture was wonderful. Recommended.

No comments: